1. Home
  2. /

    News
  3. /

    Givemefive Opts Out of Cheltenham Appearance
Givemefive Opts Out of Cheltenham Appearance
Givemefive by Healy Racing

Givemefive Opts Out of Cheltenham Appearance

Harry Derham has officially announced that Givemefive will not be participating in the upcoming Cheltenham Festival, despite his commendable performance in the Adonis Juvenile Hurdle last Saturday.

Although holding entries for both the JCB Triumph Hurdle and Boodles Fred Winter, the young trainer had previously hinted that a run at the prestigious National Hunt event was unlikely. Following his close defeat by Kalif Du Berlais at Kempton, Derham has firmly decided against sending his promising juvenile to Prestbury Park.

Expressing his thoughts on the matter, Derham said,

“He put in a strong performance, and we were pleased with his run. It seemed like he was beaten by a superior competitor, so we have opted out of Cheltenham. The race took a toll on him, and he hasn’t been exercised since. We will devise an alternative plan."

Derham further elaborated,

“I didn’t feel compelled to go to Cheltenham, to be honest. Winning the Triumph seems unlikely, and he would need to be in peak condition and well-handicapped to succeed in the Boodles. Since we are probably neither, the prospect didn’t entice me. My focus is on winning races, not merely participating in events.”

Givemefive is co-owned by Major-winning golfers Graeme McDowell and Brooks Koepka, with McDowell making his first appearance to watch the four-year-old in action at the Grade Two event.

While McDowell didn’t witness the victory he hoped for, he thoroughly enjoyed watching his horse compete. Derham remarked,

“Graeme had a fantastic time, and the race was quite exhilarating. Although the outcome wasn’t what we aimed for, Givemefive put up an excellent show and just fell short on the day.”

Regarding Givemefive’s next race, Derham stated,

“We are considering Fairyhouse for the juvenile Grade Two, depending on his recovery in the coming weeks. While he hasn’t been exercised since the previous race, I am keen on sending him there if he recuperates well. His owners have always prioritized the horse’s well-being, so we will allow him to recover before making a decision.”

Additionally, Derham’s prized mare Queens Gamble will also be absent from the Festival. The six-year-old, previously under Oliver Sherwood's training and victorious twice in Cheltenham bumpers, was a strong contender for the Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle. However, an unexpected setback has led to her withdrawal from the remainder of the season.

Explaining the situation, Derham said,

“Although her leg scan showed no issues, there was some heat present on Monday. Thankfully, her caring owners have opted to give her time to heal rather than rush her back. She is expected to return in the autumn without any complications.”

Get the latest news to your inbox.

Subscribe to the newsletter

We value your privacy and promise not to distribute your email to third parties.